Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Weather on my mind

Day #7: Since departing Maryland the weather has been nothing short of perfect. The barometer has been steady and the winds fair. And, since departing Maryland, I've done nothing but worry about the weather. Specifically, when will it change. It's ironic in the midst of a seven day winning streak that all I'd think about is rolling snake-eyes. I've got a feeling I'm not alone among mariners for being caught out is a 'significant emotional event'. So much so that there's a saying aboard Nellie: "I'd rather be on the beach wishing I was out cruising, than be out cruising and wishing I was on the beach." So, with all this in mind, tomorrow we tackle the Cape Fear River knowing the barometer has started dropping. Anyone want to blow on these dice?

Today's picture was taken just after dawn on Adams Creek Canal about 10 miles west of Beaufort, NC. The fog was thick enough at times that we were navigating on instruments alone.

At anchor in Wrightsville Beach, NC. 84nm today and 376nm to date. DBH