Monday, July 3, 2017

Day #23: Pentwater, MI


What's Wrong with this Picture?

Nellie's instrument cluster couldn't be simpler.  While underway life is good as long as the gauges' needles all point between 11 and 12 o'clock.  If any vary, I obsess.  That's why the water temperature gauge is currently driving me nuts.  Its sending unit is faulty and so its reading is high--one o'clock high.  But, even knowing it's faulty, every time I scan the instruments I'm startled.  You'd think I'd learn to ignore it.  Nope.  However, simply covering the gauge cures my problem.  Out of sight, out of mind?


The Very Crowded Beach at Mears State Park in Pentwater


Argyle Sits Atop a Lovely Perch Over looking Lake Michigan.

If asked to choose between a fairy godmother and my own personal geneologist, I'd be torn.  Here's why.  Two days ago I'd never heard of Pentwater, Michigan.  Today, after docking in Pentwater, I received an email from geneologist and cousin Ted Lollis stating that I have family here.  He included an address, a map and encouraged us to go for a visit.  So, we did.  While knocking on the door of this stranger's home I couldn't help but wonder how we'd be received.  With open arms it turns out. 


Cousin Katie at Argyle

Funny how you can arrive in a town, or at a door, a stranger and yet leave knowing there's family there.  That's what a geneologist can do for you.


Muskegon to Pentwater

It was pointed out to me that I massacred the spelling of Muskegon in yesterday's blog post.  I've corrected the post and humbly apologize to the residents of Muskegon and Michigun... ;-)

It was a wonderful 46 miles on the Lake today.  Our total is now 1120 miles.  Nellie is safely ensconced at the dock in Snug Harbor, Pentwater, Michigan.  DBH