Friday, June 21, 2013

Bees to Honey--Deux

Day #61: It was a little bumpy going up the Neuse today. Yahoo weather I've heard it called. The bow goes down, the wave goes up, ride 'em cowboy; yahoo! As forecast, the NE winds are laying down now. Our trip up the Alligator River and into the Albermarle Sound tomorrow should be smooth.

We're at the Belhaven, NC, free dock tonight. It's brand new and has both water and electric--all for free. If I sound amazed, I am. We've paid $100 at some marinas and gotten less. Just like in Oriental, people came by all afternoon to see Nellie. One gentleman said "I love your boat. I'd trade my house for it." Andy Fisher, a local advocate for the free dock, stopped by too. He told me that Belhaven hopes to attract more ICW cruisers. Andy himself moved here after first passing through Belhaven on his 32' Nordic Tug.

We made 40nm to the good today. Our total is now 1280nm. DBH