Friday, June 14, 2013

Red, Right, Returning, Usually

Day #54: We just dropped the hook in Calabash Creek on the SC/NC border. In 2008 I went aground here. I remember the event clearly--not so much for the grounding, but because it cost me a dinner. You see my brother John and I have a standing bet when cruising together, go aground while at the helm and you're buying (yea, in the early days we went aground a lot). I was remembering the episode as Bicki and I approached the creek today. I could clearly see the patch of water that cost me the dinner. "Not this time John", I thought to myself. Following the 'red, right, returning' rule I confidently turned to port ... and immediately went hard aground (see 'Wrong' in today's photo). Thanks to Nellie's full keel we got off easily and the only damage was to my pride. In reviewing the grounding the petulant child in me says, "It's not my fault! Look at the depths, look at the channel markers." I miss the simplicity of my petulant child days. Our second try (see 'Right' in today's photo) saw us safely in. Now it looks like I owe John another dinner. I consider it a small price to pay for today's valuable lesson.

At anchor in Calabash Creek just north of Myrtle Beach, SC. 47nm today and 1087nm so far. DBH