Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Day #28: Confused in Brockport, NY

Rain, Rain Go Away...

The NAPA Store is made of the Brown Standstone for which Medina is Famous

The sign said, Alternator and Starter Repair, and I had an alternator question. The congenial man behind the counter answered my question by explaining that a condenser's job was to eliminate the static that would otherwise be heard on the car's radio. Next I asked about his alternator and starter repair business. "Oh, we're out of that" he said, "I just haven't taken down the sign yet." He went on to explain that the price of new, Chinese alternators is so low that it's cheaper to buy a new one than fix a broken one.  Next I asked if import duties would have kept his repair business alive. "Yea, maybe" was the response. Then, after a moment's delay, "No, probably not." I had to laugh, there in a nutshell is the trade debate and the mixed feelings it engenders.

25 Miles from Medina, NY to Brockport, NY

Safely tied to Brockport's wall. It's $12/night but that includes electric, water, heads, showers and two bikes! Nellie's up to 602 miles for the year and 7031 miles since leaving Naples. DBH