Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cambridge Cay

Day #23: I sleep better with the anchor alarm on. But, there is a price to be paid and it comes in the form of false alarms. This morning the alarm went off at 0030 and again at 0630. On each alarm I burst out of the bunk, all the while trying to shake off the cobwebs, and once in the pilothouse look for indications that we're adrift. I'm happy to report that both alarms were false and occurred because I set the alarm distance too conservatively. Which brings me to my point. Is it better to be jolted awake frequently for false alarms or is it better to sleep through an anchor drag? Having lived through the latter I've learned that I prefer my adrenalin in small doses as opposed to one, very large shot.

Ahead of us is the Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park, specifically its Cambridge Cay mooring field. This is a beautiful, well protected area right in the middle of many popular dive spots. The bigger mooring fields usually have a host boat. Here it's Mary and Bill's Harbor Reach. This was an unexpected surprise as we last visited with them in the Abacos in 2009. Let the partying begin. Continue?

It was an exhausting 4nm run to Cambridge Cay today. The good news is we've now racked up 463nm on the trip. It may be possible to go slower than we are, but I don't see how. DBH