Monday, April 4, 2016

Day #116: New Orleans or Bust


The Rigolets RR Bridge

On the VHF I heard a tug announcing their departure from the "Rigolee".  I couldn't find it on the chart until Bicki told me it's spelled Rigolets.  My high school French teacher said that one day I'd need to know the language.  Do you think she envisioned me getting run over by a tug if I didn't?

I thought Mobile Bay was big but it would fit inside Lake Ponchartrain.  Lake Ponchartrain is 20nm north-south and 35nm east-west. 


The Mighty Mississippi

It was a seven mile walk from our marina to downtown New Orleans.  The first thing we did was take a look at the Mississippi.  The GIWW transits this part of the river and it was interesting to see how fast the current is.


A Flowering Tree


A Mardi Gras Tree

Of course we investigated the French Quarter.  Amazingly we found a place selling beer!  Two were ordered up to helped numb our tired feet.  After walking Bourbon Street from end to end, we signed up for Uber and got a fast, free ride back to the marina.

In the Orleans Marina on the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain.  33nm today and 929 to date.  DBH