Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Day 159: The San Juans of Tennessee


Nice to be in a Pilothouse on a Rainy Morning


Up 61 Feet at Watt's Bar Lock

The pattern becomes familiar: pass through a lock; enter a lake; upstream the river constricts; the current increases; arrive at the next lock.  The pattern is broken only by the increasing beauty of the upriver lakes. Watt's Bar Lake is no exception but differentiates itself by having many, many islands.  For a moment I thought we were in the San Juans and only by tasting the water could I be sure we weren't.


Up the Watt's Bar Section of the Tennessee


Garmin Charts with Much Better Depth Contours

In an earlier post I'd complained that Garmin's charts lacked the necessary depth information.  Fortunately someone wiser than me knew that the deficiency was easily corrected with a Garmin SD chip containing the data for the Inland Rivers and Lakes--thanks Terry!  Unfortunately I've now lost my 'bad charts' excuse for going aground--thanks Terry!

In the Little Paint Rock Creek anchorage, MM576.  67 miles today 2095 total.  DBH